Thursday 20 December 2007

6 to 8 weeks

I went to clinic today to have my stitches out and to have a follow up with my consultant. I was so excited because the nurse that works in the clinic is so amusing without realising, she once told me to look after a toilet! I love her. So yes, as usual there were LOADS of people waiting and the doctors were late. At the moment the clinic is in a ward while they refurbish so everyone has to sit along one side of the wall - its quite funny to see lots of people with broken legs and casts having to move when people get wheeled in. Today more and more people kept on turning up for their appointments and it seemed that noone was leaving. I was sitting just by the door to one of the doctor's rooms and he seemed to see more doctors than patients!! He's obviously popular.

Mary the nurse called my name and told me to stay where I was because she had nowhere to go! I waited about half an hour but thats ok because I just love the comedy value of Clinic 7&8!

Once Mary had found a room she made me sit on the bed and then asked me to help her take the covers off the stitches - she's brilliant! So I did, and I had mainly steristrips over the incisions and had 2 stitches, one of which she just pulled out with her hand.

Then luckily because Mary had used Mr. Bartlett's room to take out the stitches he then had a look at my knee. Tested the movement, which he was happy with - it matches my other knee apparently. He asked how my flexion is, so I told him it is a lot harder to bend than straighten but he wasn't worried and said it was expected. He also told me not to let physio rush me through my rehab. They would have me jogging at 3 months but he'd prefer it if I didn't jog until 4 to 5 months. Oh dear - do I look like a jog?????? Ew!!

He also told me I don't have to wear the brace anymore - which is nice, but I think I will wear it on Christmas Eve to make sure I get a seat in the pub. :o) Still have to use the crutches for the next 2 weeks and am going back to clinic in 6 weeks time. He seems confident I'll be able to go back to work on January 21st (which is the 6 week mark) but I wonder when the last time he was in a Nursery teaching 3 year olds. Hmmmm. I'll have to see how I feel but if I'm honest I don't know if I'll be strong enough to go back... I will only have been walking without crutches for a week or so. I don't know.

That's all for now really. The stitches, well where the stitches were, are sore. I have only done physio once today. Every hour just comes around so quickly so I have just been doubling up every other hour. I wonder if that's really bad :S

No comments: