Tuesday 15 January 2008

Hydrotherapy = good times!

Wow, I can't believe that I was so worried over it! It turned out to be quite an amusing little outing for me!

Got there and got changed, but I was a little bit late so the other people in my class were getting into the pool. But I couldn't find the lockers! But one lady showed me and so there I was, there was another girl there (I actually didn't get her name) and she was about 17, she had had her muscles shortened!!!! It was her first session too so we stuck together.

So, hydrotherapy...
Firstly you have yourself a little shower then you get in, and everyone stands around the edge of the pool. The water is warm, really warm actually, but not very deep and the pool is only little really. Erm, so, there was one physio lasy out of the pool but she looked like she just did admin type stuff - she wasn't involved in the lesson. Then there were 2 young boys (!) in the pool. One, who I think was called Matt "took" the class in the loosest possible way (he basically called out what you should do and demonstrated but you couldn't see what he was doing because his legs were under water!) and another one who went round trying to keep bits of paper with our details on dry.

So we did the "warm up" where we did heel raises, squats and leg bends. Then the main part of the session we did more heel raises and squats, and then extending our legs out in front of us and behind us and to the side. It reminded me of barre work in ballet class - I guess that is essentially what it was really. Then we were given a circular float which we had to put our foot on and hold the other end and with our leg bent lift it up then down. Then we had to do the same with our leg extended. Then for the "cool down" we had to do side steps around the pool. Then that was it. It didn't seem too taxing really.

Then I had to go to the physio department and leave a message for Georgie because she didn't know how many hydro sessions I was going to have. She called me back this afternoon and said that she had booked me for the exercise sessions in the gym starting on the 31st but I had been given 5 more hydro sessions which were due to finish on February the 19th. And you're supposed to be finished your hydro before you do exercise sessions. So basically Georgie wants to see me on the 30th to assess me and see if the hydro has worked then she will still book me on the exercise course to start the next day. I have just realised that I also have a clinic appointment on that day I hope I have enough time to go home and shower because the physio gym is about 5000 degrees and I'll be a sweaty Betty!!!

Oh. So it's all very complicated as to how many hydro sessions I will be having but at least it wasn't half as traumatic as I thought it was going to be!!!

Hoorah!

No comments: